- 2 Slices White Bread
- ¼ Cup Milk
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- ½ Cup Finely Chopped Onion
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 ½ Lb. Pkg. Combo Ground Beef/Pork/Veal
- 2 Large Egg Yolks
- ½ Teaspoon Pepper
- ¼ Teaspoon Ground Allspice
- ¼ Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- ½ Teaspoon Dried Dill
- ¼ Cup All Purpose Flour
- 3 Cups Beef Broth
- ¼ Cup Light Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Sour Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Mayonnaise
Prep Time: 30 mins | Ready In: 1 hour | Servings: 4-6
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
- In a small mixing bowl, tear white bread into pieces and pour ¼ cup of milk over the bread. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan on medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter and add ½ cup of finely chopped onions. Cook until onions are translucent in color and soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large deep bowl, combine the bread and milk mixture with ground beef/pork/veal, 2 egg yolks, ¼ teaspoon of salt, ½ teaspoon of black pepper, ¼ teaspoon of allspice, ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg, ½ teaspoon of dried dill and the cooked onions. Mix all until well combined.
- Using your hands, shape the meatballs into 1 inch rounds, place on sheet. It will make about 30 to 40 small meatballs.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a sauté pan over medium low heat. Add meatballs and sauté until golden brown on all sides, about 7 to 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meatballs to an ovenproof dish and place in the warmed oven for about 20 minutes.
- Go back to the sauté pan, decrease the heat to low and add ¼ cup of flour. Whisk until lightly browned, about 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually add 3 cups of beef broth and whisk until sauce begins to thicken. Add ¼ cup of light cream, 1 tablespoon of sour cream and 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise and continue to whisk until well blended. Continue to cook until the gravy reaches the desired consistency.
- Remove the meatballs from the oven and pour in the gravy, stirring gently to cover all the meatballs. Serve with noodles and top with fresh chopped chives.