By: Jacqueline Gomes, MBA, RDN
Nothing says winter meals like stews, pastas, soups and casseroles! Winter meals call for warm, hearty foods but that doesn’t mean they aren’t healthy. Add in plenty of vegetables or switch out higher fat ingredients for a lower fat version.
Let’s take a look at some of my favorite ideas…
- Add zucchini and spinach to a traditional omelet to increase nutrients.
- Use 97% lean ground meats in place of higher fat 85% lean to reduce your intake of saturated fats.
- Consider whole grain varieties of your favorite’s grains like whole wheat pasta, brown rice and whole grain cereals.,
- Pasta has a healthy place in the diet, just be mindful of portions. Today’s we’re going to WARM UP with a super quick, family friendly pasta dish with plenty of vegetables.
Veggie Sauce over Whole Grain Pasta
Makes: 8 Servings
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 10 Minutes
- 1 Box Barilla® Whole Grain pasta (any shape)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ large onion, finely chopped
- 2 zucchinis, chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt & pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions and set aside.
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add in garlic, onion, bell pepper. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in zucchini and carrot. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add in diced tomatoes, continue to cook for another 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning.
- Toss pasta with sauce and serve immediately. If desired sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Recipe: Jaqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA