By: Jacqueline Gomes, MBA, RDN
This Mother’s Day is a little different from years past. With no reservations to be made as we continue to stay in, it’s a great time to cook up something special for Mom!
- Pamper mom on her special day with breakfast in bed or a homemade dinner. Seared Tuna Steaks don’t have to be limited to restaurants, this fish is surprisingly easy to prepare and rich in healthy omega-3 fats and protein.
- Marinate fish for up to 30 minutes to increase flavor and keep the meat tender. Marinating helps to keep the fish from drying out, just remember to not overcook it.
- The American Heart Association recommends eating fish at least twice per week for maximum health benefits.
- Kids can help prepare a sweet treat like cookies or chocolate cake. After all, it’s a special day to enjoy something indulgent!
- Take care of mom’s chores for the day, give her some alone time to enjoy a favorite activity.
Lemon-Garlic Tuna Steaks
Prep: 5 minutes
Marinate: 30 minutes
Grill: 3 to 4 minutes
Makes: 4 Servings
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 lemons, 1 juiced (1 reserved for after tuna is grilled)
- 4 Garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro (may sub parsley)
- 1 tsp dried Thyme
- ½ tsp dried basil
- 4 Yellowtail Tuna Steaks – about 6 to 8 ounces each
- Salt & pepper
- In a food storage bag or deep dish, combine Olive oil through basil, add Tuna steaks, turn to coat. Cover and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes max*, turning tuna half way through.
- Preheat grill-pan or cast iron pan over medium-high heat.
- Remove tuna from marinade and discard any remaining marinade. Spray pan with cooking spray, season both sides of tuna with salt and pepper. Sear tuna on each side for about 3 to 4 minutes for medium-rare.
- Remove from pan and squeeze remaining lemon over each tuna steak.
- Serve with vegetables & roasted potatoes if desired.
Nutrition information for one 6 ounce Tuna Steak:
220 Calories; 4g Carbohydrate; 5g Fat; 41g Protein; 584mg Sodium; 1.5g Fiber
Recipe by: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA