Summer is a time for pool parties, barbecues, and delicious in season produce. Whether you’re in the backyard, at a park, or at the beach, celebrate summer with easy, nutritious and delicious sweet & savory food pairings.
No need to fire up the stove, the focus here is cottage cheese! Yes, cottage cheese can be the foundation to a nutrient-rich meal.
One serving of low fat cottage cheese contains 13 grams of protein and only 90 calories! That’s sweet news for muscle and your waistline. Cottage cheese can improve the overall nutrition profile of a recipe by increasing the protein content, decreasing calories and lowering the fat content, especially when substituted for other cheese choices.
- Red Peppers, Sunflower Seeds + Cottage Cheese
- Kale and Rosemary Almonds + Cottage Cheese
- Tomatoes with Cilantro & Avocado + Cottage Cheese
- Marinated Artichokes & Sun-dried tomatoes + Cottage Cheese
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Hazelnuts + Cottage Cheese
- Mandarin Oranges & Toasted Almonds + Cottage Cheese
- Bananas & Pecans + Cottage Cheese
- Granny Smith Apples & Cinnamon + Cottage Cheese
- Grapefruit with Mint & Honey + Cottage Cheese
- Dried Figs with Pistachios & Cardamom + Cottage Cheese
Cheesy Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Prep: 25 minutes
Makes: 4 (2 halve) servings
- 2 cups lower sodium pasta sauce
- 4 Medium zucchini
- 1/2 pound extra lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup Daisy® Cottage Cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Warm the pasta sauce and reserve. Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise. Place 4 halves cut side down on a microwave-safe plate covered with paper towels.
- Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes or until almost tender. Repeat with remaining 4 halves.
- Remove and run each under cold water to refresh zucchini. Scoop the middle seedy section from the center of the zucchini, leaving a ¼ inch border.
- Place the zucchini cut side down on paper towels to drain. Sauté ground turkey, onion, and green bell pepper until the meat is no longer pink. Remove from the heat.
- In a separate bowl mix the cheeses, bread crumbs, seasonings and egg substitute. Once combined, add the ground meat mixture and stir to incorporate. Spoon 1/8 of mixture into each zucchini half.
- Place in a 9×13 inch casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes or until the zucchini are heated thoroughly and the filling has a lightly brown crust. Spoon the heated pasta sauce onto plates. Top with zucchini boats.
Recipe courtesy of: Daisybrandhealth.com