By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
April 11th, 2019
Every single cell in our bodies requires water to function properly. But how much do we need and how do we know where getting enough? The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine determined that an adequate daily fluid intake is about 15.5 cups of fluids for men and about 11.5 cups of fluids a day for women. Needs will vary by individual with athletes, pregnant or nursing women needing more fluids.
You’ll know you’re adequately hydrated if your urine is almost colorless/very light yellow and you rarely feel thirsty. Here’s how to get the most of your drinks…
- Water is your best option as it is inexpensive and calorie free, however there are more options!
- Low-fat milk, 100% juice and herbal teas count towards your daily water goal.
- Honest® Tea is Fair Trade certified, Fair Trade certification empowers farmers and workers to improve their own lives.
- Consider flavored waters such as cucumber and lemon water as a way to increase flavor if you find plain water to be boring. The important thing is to maintain adequate hydration!
With summer fast approaching, a chilled beverage is the best way to keep the heat at bay. The Peach Pick has a hint of summery peaches, refreshing organic tea, and cool mint for a guaranteed new favorite during the warmer months.
- 5 fresh mint leaves
- 5 ounces seltzer water
- 6 ounces Honest® Tea Peach Tea
- Fresh peaches, thinly sliced
- Optional: Fresh mint leaves and peach slice for garnish
- The Peach Pick might be simple but the flavor is bold. Tear mint leaves in half and place in the bottom of a tumbler. Add in thin peach slices and muddle with the handle of a sturdy wooden spoon—gently grinding the tool into the leaves and fruit until fragrant. Don’t over-muddle.
- Pour in seltzer water and Honest Tea Organic Peach tea and stir. Add plenty of ice and garnish with more thinly sliced peaches and fresh mint leaves, optional.
Source: Honest® Tea