Summer and salads…they are almost synonymous with each other. But salads don’t have to be limited to a few lettuce leaves and tomatoes. Make the most of seasonal produce and create salads using potatoes, corn, bell peppers, fruits and avocados! Salads are a great way to increase nutrients and include more variety in your diet. Be creative and come up with your own personalized combinations! Here are three super simple summer salads to make mealtime easy, fun and delicious!
- Corn & Red Pepper: Fresh corn (cooked and shucked); red bell pepper (seeded and cut into strips); chopped romaine lettuce; chopped red onion.
- Red, White & Blue Potato: Small white, purple/blue and red potatoes (cook & cut into 1-inch cubes); chopped ham, chopped walnuts, garlic, chopped red bell peppers, sliced scallions.
- Avocado Blueberry Fruit Salad: Sliced avocado, fresh blueberries, diced apples, diced mango, mixed baby greens, chopped chives, coarsely chopped walnuts
- Transform any salad into a complete meal with protein: Eggs, tofu, beans, nuts, grilled chicken, tuna or lean beef. Tip: Dress your salad with your favorite dressing.
Red, White & Blue Potato Salad
- 1 pound small white potatoes
- 1 pound small red potatoes
- 12 ounces small purple/blue potatoes
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil or olive oil, divided
- 2 ounces chopped ham
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons sherry or white balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup finely chopped red or orange bell peppers
- 4 green onions, sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Prep Time: 20 mins | Ready In: 35 mins
- Cut potatoes into 1 ½ -inch cubes. Steam for 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Heat 1 tablespoon walnut oil in a medium skillet. Add ham, walnuts, and garlic; sauté for 10 minutes. Add vinegar and stir well.
- Toss potatoes, ham mixture, remaining 2 tablespoons walnut oil, bell pepper, green onions, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Serve warm or cold.
180 Calories | 9g Fat | 1g Saturated Fat | 5mg Cholesterol | 290mg Sodium | 357mg Potassium | 20g Carbohydrate | 2g Fiber | 5g Protein
Recipe Source: Potatoes Goodness Unearthed, potatogoodness.com
Caramelized Corn & Red Pepper Salad with Chives
Take advantage of fresh summer sweet corn with this super salad!
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 2 ears cob corn, shucked
- 1 red bell pepper, halved lengthwise and seeded
- ¼ cup reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
Servings: 4 (1/2 cup)
- Coat stove-top grill pan with cooking spray and preheat to medium-high heat.
- Add corn and bell pepper to hot pan and grill 5 to 7 minutes, until corn and peppers are browned, turning corn frequently and flipping peppers to prevent burning. Remove from heat and when cool enough to handle, cut corn from cob and cut pepper into 1-inch pieces. Transfer corn and pepper to medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together broth, canola oil, vinegar, cumin and pepper. Add mixture to corn mixture and toss to coat. Fold in chives.
- Arrange romaine lettuce on serving platter. Spoon corn mixture over romaine and serve.
Tips: To transform this side dish into a complete meal, use the corn mixture as a topping for grilled or roasted chicken breast, turkey tenderloin, fish or lean steak. To prevent messy clean-up, cut corn from cob directly into a bowl.
130 Calories | 6g Fat | 0.5g Saturated Fat | 0mg Cholesterol | 20mg Sodium | 18g Carbohydrate | 3g Fiber | 4g Protein