By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
On Valentine’s Day we show our loved one’s appreciation with gifts like flowers, strawberries and chocolate!
Dark chocolate is known to have health benefits through the presence of flavanoid antioxidants and the ability to increase serotonin levels. New research is demonstrating that consuming chocolate may aid in improving mood and easing depressive symptoms.
If you’re planning on enjoying strawberries, you’ll be glad to know that…
- Just one serving of eight strawberries has more vitamin C than an orange – 110% of the recommended daily value.
- Strawberries are packed with beneficial antioxidants and nutrients including potassium, folate, and fiber.
Share something sweet with your loved ones by preparing this quick 5 minute dessert the night before valentine’s day; chill in the fridge overnight.
Strawberry Chocolate Chia Mousse
This light creamy chocolate mousse is made with chia seeds and topped with fresh, sweet strawberries and almonds for a treat that is both sweet and crunchy.
Prep: 5 minutes
Cooling time: 4 hours
Makes: 6 Servings
- 2 cups milk
- ⅓ cup chocolate hazelnut spread
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cup chia seeds
- ⅓ cup agave (optional for added sweetness)
- 2 cups strawberries
- ⅓ cup coconut flakes
- ⅓ cup almonds
- Add milk, chocolate hazelnut spread, cocoa powder, and chia seeds to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add agave syrup if using. Blend for two minutes until thickened and smooth.
- Pour into ramekins and refrigerate for 3-4 hours until set and cold.
- Top with fresh strawberries, coconut, and almonds. Enjoy!
Note: Nut-based milk can be used as a milk substitute.
Nutrition information: Calculated using agave
381 calories; 45g carbohydrate; 10g protein; 20g fat; 8mg cholesterol; 52mg sodium; 11g fiber
Recipe: Californiastrawberries.com by Nur Ashour