You may be feeling as though you need a vacation from this past week of cooking and shopping, but finally Christmas has arrived! Whether you are celebrating the spirit of Christmas or simply enjoying an evening at home with your family; we all can appreciate time spent with loved ones.
If you are entertaining, remember to be mindful of any guests that may be living with a condition controlled by diet such as diabetes and celiac disease. Consider healthier dessert options such as cheese and fruit, poached pears, baked apples or brown rice pudding so that everyone can partake in the festivity of the holiday!
- 4 large baking apples, such as Rome or Golden Delicious
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup hot apple juice
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Cut out apple core for stuffing: Using a sharp paring knife or an apple corer cut out the cores, leaving the bottom 1/2 inch of the apples intact.
- Combine stuffing mixture in a small bowl: brown sugar, cinnamon, walnuts and dried cranberries.
- Place the apples in a baking dish and stuff each apple with the sugar stuffing mixture. Place a dot of butter (a quarter of the tablespoon called for in the ingredient list) on top of the sugar.
- Bake: Pour the hot apple juice into the bottom of the baking dish. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, until the apples are cooked through and tender. Be careful not to over bake as they will become mushy.
- When done, remove the apples from the oven and baste them with the juices from the pan.