By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
It’s back-to-school with new teachers, activities, books, outfits and of course new schedules! A new schedule calls for new mealtimes. Often, the most challenging one to implement is breakfast. Avoid a case of the “sleepy-eyes” and set aside time each morning for breakfast; the first dose of fuel your body gets for the day!
Grab & GO Breakfast Ideas for the whole family…
Prepping food the night before is a major time-saver! Think quick and portable foods like sandwiches and smoothies.
- Whole wheat Bagel with cream cheese and sliced strawberries
- Oatmeal Pancakes (Tip: Make-ahead & Freeze)
- Fruit & Yogurt Smoothies
- Egg and Cheese Sandwich
- Grilled cheese on whole wheat bread
- Peanut butter* & Banana roll-up (place ingredients inside a whole wheat wrap, roll-up and go!)
- Overnight oats – See recipe below!
- No Bake Energy Bars – See recipe below!
Breakfast Ideas for preschoolers…
- Yogurt, blueberries & toasted oat cereal
- Pancakes, strawberries, maple syrup & milk
- Carrot Muffin, milk, sliced Canadian bacon
- Scrambled eggs, half English muffin w/ fruit preserves & Milk
- Whole what toast with peanut butter & sliced bananas
- Oatmeal prepared with milk, applesauce
*Peanut free? Substitute sunflower seed butter or soy butter!
Apple Raisin Nut Overnight Oats
Active Prep: 5 minutes
- ¼ cup uncooked old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup fat free milk
- ¼ cup low-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon honey or other sweetener
- ¼ cup chopped apples
- 1 tablespoon Raisins
- 2 tablespoon chopped almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
- In an 8-ounce jar with a lid, combine all of your ingredients. Put a lid on the jar and shake until well combined. Refrigerate overnight or up to 3 days. Enjoy cold! Now take an extra rubber band, secure your napkin and spoon, toss it in a plastic bag or lunch box and you’re off!
It’s that easy! This breakfast provides Protein, fiber, calcium, potassium, vitamin D.
No Bake Energy Bars
Prep: 20 minutes
Makes: 24 bars
- 2 cups unsweetened puffed brown rice cereal
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup roasted almonds, chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup dried fruit, chopped
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Combine cereal, oats, nuts, seeds, coconut and fruit in a large mixing bowl.
- Heat the peanut butter, honey, and vanilla in a small sauce pan until warm. Do not boil.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture over the cereal mixture. Mix well while honey is still warm. Your hands are the best tool for this job!
- Pour mixture into a 9×13 pan.
- Pack the mixture down firmly with moist fingers or the bottom of another 9×13 pan sprayed with cooking spray.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Cool completely.
- Cut into 24 bars and wrap individually, store in fridge for up to 2 weeks.