The holidays bring an abundance of joy through family gatherings, gift exchanges and of course sweet treats! This holiday season, remember that people living with Celiac disease or gluten intolerance also like to partake in the sweetness holidays bring.
A gluten-free diet is free of all forms of wheat, rye, barley, and some oats. When using oats be sure to select brands labeled “gluten free”.
Appropriate side dishes include potatoes, quinoa and rice. All fruits and vegetables are naturally gluten free so be sure to have an abundance of these available for your guests. In addition, proteins such as meats, poultry, fish, nuts and eggs are also safe for your gluten free guest.
Tasty selections for dessert include: candied nuts, baked apples, rice-marshmallow treats, and chocolate covered strawberries. You may also purchase gluten-free cake mix for cupcakes and other cake based desserts!*
*Please make sure to read packaging to confirm the product is labeled gluten free.
Golden Turmeric Latkes with Applesauce
These crispy on the outside and tender on the inside latkes are delicious paired with a subtly spice clove-scented applesauce. Using chickpea flour instead of wheat flour makes them gluten free!
Makes: 12 Latkes
Active time: 45 minutesEatingwell.com
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2 cups shredded peeled russet potatoes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 fresh green Serrano chilles, stemmed and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- To prepare sauce: heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add ginger and cook, stirring, until light brown and aromatic, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir in turmeric and cloves. Cook until the spices are fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute more. Scrape the spices into the applesauce in a small bowl and stir well to combine.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Place a baking sheet in the oven.
- To prepare latkes: Thoroughly mix potatoes, onion, chiles to taste, cilantro, flour, cumin, salt, turmeric and eggs in a large bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Place a heaping tablespoon of the potato mixture in the skillet and flatten with a spatula into a disk roughly 3 inches in diameter. Form as many latkes as you can in the pan without overcrowding. Cook until golden brown and crispy on the bottom, 3 to 5 minutes. Flip and continue cooking until the other side is golden brown and crispy, 3 to 5 minutes. Briefly drain on a paper towel-lined plate, then transfer to the oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining oil and potato mixture.
- Serve latkes with the seasoned applesauce.
Per serving: 187 Calories; 9 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 5 g Mono; 71 mg Cholesterol; 22 g Carbohydrates; 5 g Protein; 3 g Fiber; 221 mg Sodium; 327 mg Potassium
Coconut & Date Nut Balls
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until desired consistency reached. Tip: keep the pieces larger for a crunchier ball.
- Form 1-ounce balls and then roll in the additional shredded coconut to coat.
- Store in the refrigerator and enjoy as a quick snack!
Recipe: Siggi’s Yogurt