By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
If you’re working out a bit more often, it’s no wonder! Summer is just around the corner and it’s a great time to get physically active. Regular exercise can help us to stay in shape and support good health.
- Fuel your workout with the right foods; carbohydrates such as DeCecco’s pasta and fruit provide our bodies with energy, which help us get through a workout like a kickboxing class or an outdoor run.
- Protein from meats, dairy and soy help to restore body tissue and build muscle.
- Both will help you reach your exercise and weight loss goals, just remember to be mindful of healthy portions!
- And Don’t forget to stay well hydrated before, during and after your workout.
Pasta sometimes gets a bad rap, but it’s actually a great food to include in an active and healthy lifestyle. 1 cup of cooked pasta is only about 200 calories, combine it with plenty of fresh vegetables an you’ll have one seriously satisfying meal.
Prep: 10 minutes
Ready: 20 minutes
Makes: 6 (1 cup) Servings
- ½ pound DeCecco Rigatoni (any shape will do)
- ¾ pound mixed vegetables, chopped (bell peppers, mushrooms, broccoli, carrots )
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- Parmesan Cheese (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente and set aside. *NOTE: Reserve 1 cup of pasta water!
- Meanwhile, heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat and add olive oil.
- Add onion and chopped vegetables. Cook for about 5 minutes or until soft. Season with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning.
- Add in tomatoes, add a pinch of salt, continue to cook for about 2 to 3 minutes and stir in pasta and ½ to 1 cup pasta water. Cook for another 5 minutes on low heat.
- Top with Parmesan cheese if desired and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information (1 Cup): 176 Calories; 31g Carbohydrate; 6g Protein; 396mg Sodium; 3g Fiber
Recipe by: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA