Calcium is vital for healthy bones and teeth and proper growth in children. Adequate calcium intake reduces the risk for osteoporosis later in life, and more calcium is absorbed and stored in childhood than at any other time.
The best sources of calcium are dairy products like milk, cheese and yogurt. If you are lactose intolerant or have a milk protein allergy, you can still get enough calcium by eating foods like canned salmon and sardines (with bones), collard greens, and the many calcium-fortified foods available, such as fortified orange juice and soymilk! Read the nutrition facts label on all foods to see if they are rich in calcium (at least 10% DV).
How much do you need? 3-A-Day, that’s 3 servings of milk, cheese or yogurt! Vitamin D has several essential bodily functions. Not only does vitamin D maintain blood calcium and phosphorus levels, it aids in the absorption of calcium to form and maintain strong bones, it works with calcium to increase bone density and decreases fractures. Recent studies show that vitamin D also may protect from osteoporosis, hypertension, cancer and several autoimmune diseases!
A serving of Dairy includes the following:
- 1 cup of fat-free or low-fat milk
- 1 -1/2 ounces of hard cheese (Parmesan, mozzarella, Swiss)
- 1/3 cup of shredded cheese
- 2 ounces American cheese
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese
- 1 cup of frozen yogurt
Makes: 12 Servings:
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 4 cups hash browns, frozen
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 large eggs
- 3 cups Southwest vegetable blend, frozen
- 12 ounces fat-free Green Yogurt
- 10 ounces + 2 ounces reduced fat Cheddar cheese
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Apply non-stick spray to all wells of a 12-cup muffin tin.
- Toss hash browns and olive oil; evenly distribute the mixture using a 12-cup muffin tin. Bake approximately 20 minutes until hash browns are golden brown. Let cool slightly and apply more non-stick spray to the exposed sides of each cup.
- Combine eggs, Southwest vegetable blend (or 3 cups of your favorite diced vegetables), fat-free Greek yogurt, 10-ounces shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide egg mixture evenly over hash browns to fill all 12 wells of the muffin tin.
- Bake for 10 minutes; top with 2 remaining ounces Cheddar cheese and bake approximately 10 additional minutes until the center of each quiche is cooked through.
Nutrition Information: 270 Calories; 15g Total Fat; 5g Saturated fat; 195mg Cholesterol; 320mg Sodium; 30%DV Calcium; 20g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber