By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
I think we are all in need of a little fun! Cinco de Mayo is the perfect excuse to prepare some fun foods to share at home! Mexican cuisine imparts lots of fresh flavors with ingredients like cilantro, avocado, fresh corn, jalapenos and fish.
Here are some tips to keep your dishes light and tasty!
- Use corn tortillas over flour tortillas to save calories and get a boost of whole grain.
- Fresh avocados can go from tacos, to dip and salads for a dose of heart healthy fats.
- Super sweet corn is a whole grain and vegetable that is delicious and fun to eat! Corn is packed with fiber, vitamins and minerals!
Mexican Street Corn may sound like a higher fat treat, but with the right ingredients we’re going to make it healthy while keeping all the flavor!
Easy Mexican Street Corn
Total Prep: 40 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 4 ears Super Sweet Corn
- 2 limes, separated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ tablespoon smoked paprika
- ¼ tablespoon chili powder
- 3 gloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper.
- ¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup soft crumbled Cotija or Feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees or outdoor grill.
- Cut 4 pieces of aluminum foil large enough to wrap each ear of corn separately.
- Place one ear of corn in each aluminum foil square.
- In a small bowl squeeze the juice of one lime (about 2 Tbsp) and mix in olive oil, paprika, chili powder and garlic, a pinch of salt & pepper.
- Brush each ear of corn with lime mixture from step 4 and seal each foil to form a packet.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until tender. Carefully remove each corn from foil packet and sprinkle each with extra chili powder, cheese, cilantro & a squeeze of lime.
Nutrition Information (one ear of corn): 205 Calories; 21g Carbohydrate; 10g Fat; 7g Protein; 135mg Sodium; 3g Fiber
Recipe by: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA