By: Jacqueline Gomes, MBA, RDN
Salads are a great way to add variety and a bounty of nutrients to your diet.
Summer is a great time to enjoy salads as you can add in a variety of fresh ingredients that are nutritious and bursting with flavor. I love adding in plant-based proteins like beans, nuts and seeds to my salads to really pump up the nutrition factor.
Here are 3 ways to build a better summer salad!
- Build your base: Crunchy lettuce or spinach. Dole salad kits are a convenient and tasty place to start.
- Add crunch: Carrots, cucumber, peppers, snap peas, string beans, broccoli, red onion, cabbage and corn
- Sweet additions: blueberries, strawberries, apples, dried cranberries, raisins, apricots
- Power up with protein: Grilled chicken, canned tuna, crab meat, sliced steak, salmon, eggs, cheese, chicken peas, edamame, tofu, nuts, beans and legumes.
Plant Power Salad Wrap
Prep: 5 minutes
Makes: 6 wraps
- 1 Dole Salt Kit Sesame Asian or any variety
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 6 whole grain wraps
- In a large bowl toss Dole Salad kit with dressing and add-ins, toss in edamame.
- Lay one wrap on a dish, fill with 1 cup salad and fold up. Secure with a toothpick if needed.
Recipe: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA